CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 19, 2009

My Saturday

This weekend I have been in Alabama visiting with my Papa. As I mentioned in my prayer wall, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about a month ago, so I have been spending as much time here as possible. My uncle and cuz came down this weekend too. While my mom and my aunt kept Papa company, the rest of us got out in his yard and did some work. You have to understand my Papa's place. His yards are big, but he has a huge garden, a green house, black berry vines, blueberry bushes, grapefruit trees, beautiful flowers. Anytime I am here I always just walk around the yards and admire his love for outdoors. Maybe his love for the outdoors and nature roots is where I get it from. There is something about it that brings me a peace. Always has. Well we work in the garden for a bit getting it watered and fertilized. This garden is huge.

This is all that I could fit in the camera screen!!


After that We got in the yard and mowed. My first experience on a riding lawn mower. I'm sure for the passer-byers it was a great laugh for the morning. Needless to say, my uncle finished that task and I decided to tackle the blackberry vines. This is where I spent most of my time during the day. I cleaned all the dead vines out and all million of the little oaks that were growing within them. I only come away with 5 or 6 thorns in my hands. Found great gloves that you can actually grab up all of the stuff up and not worry about the thorns. Blackberry thorns are the worst ever to me. I think I rather sit on a cactus. (Not really). Here is a shot of the blackberry vines after I finished them and the pile that I took out of there. I think after I finished, the pile actually had more in it than there was blackberries left on the vines. Cannot wait til the are ready. The are green now.


This is a row of the vines.


.... and the pile. (I worked hard!!!)
My uncle, my cuz, and Aunt pressure washed the back of the house. Now that would have been a pic to see, but my uncle being on that 12 foot ladder, not holding on and it wobbling everywhere.. I could not bare to watch. All in all we got a good bit done. We started about 9:30 I'd say and think we called it quits around 6:30 last evening. Papa would make his way out there a couple of times to check our progress, but I'm sure he just wanted to make sure we were doing it correctly if I know him. hahaha! After we called it quits, I walked around and took some pics of the some of the things that I love around here.

This is part of his greenhouse. He says the secret of growing plants is not leaving them lonely, so he actually has a radio in there that plays 24-7. He must be on to something, because he can make a dead stick sprout something.

I enjoyed the day working around here. Although any other time Papa would be out there in his overalls in the middle of it, and that fact that he wasn't was a bit hard to grasp, it still gave me a bit of peace about myself. I spent most of the time in blackberry vines alone and it gave me some time to do a bit of thinking which led to a reassuring conversation with Papa later, which gave me even more peace. I love it around here because everything here is my Papa. He has such a simplicity about him and a determination (or stubbornness) that is inspiring to me and has been for such a long time. The calmness and the contentment he has is everything that I strive for and hope that one day I will have. Maybe everything out represents that and it is why I am so drawn to it. I know that I am going to miss it and him when he is gone!!!











6 comments:

Baroness Bijoutery said...

You and you Papa are in my prayers. I had a grandfather like yours and loved spending time with him in his gardens..Those memories are so very special and live with still today...

Angela said...

It is a joy to be in the outdoors digging and growing stuff! (I have never cut grass before in my life!)

I will pray for "Papa."

"Just jen" said...

Thank you both for your prayers. I know there have been many request from me lately, but I do appreciate them dearly!

I really did enjoy it though. I even got his approval on the vines!!! hahaha

Baroness Bijoutery said...

Stop by my blog I have something there for you..posted it last night...

Mary said...

Hi! I'm so happy to find another Mississippi girl's blog and I will be following along now. I am so sorry to hear about the difficult time you and your family are going through and I will keep your Papa in my prayers.

Amy McGill said...

Hey Chick........My Grandfather always said "he never felt closer to God then when he was on his tractor or working in the garden". He wasn't a church going man, but on Sunday's, he was always at the farm doing something! My lil bro does the same thing........Looking at what God created in 7 days, somehow makes our problems look so small! And you seem to hear him better out there!!!